Thursday, September 4, 2008

pioneer trek



Oh dont i look soooo...pioneerish?! Tina and Mom cooed and admired while sierra gagged and laughed in the background. I did feel slightly ridiculous in my outfit, not because of its appearance but because of its restrictions! Hiking and pushing a handcart in the heat of the day with a dress is no picnic. However it greatly increased my appreciation for the pioneers, particularly the pioneer women.

Last month my homeward went on a trek and again, while it had its restrictions, it was a blast! You dont realize how much you miss everyday things until they're gone. The leaders tried doing as little as possible and followed the stories of who we were representing fairly close. The "men" were sent to wahandcarts. i must admit, i secretly hoped my i would be allowed to "die" so i could walk the rest of the trail, but as the day went on you could see how greatly deprived each cart was of support. where 4 to 5 should have been there was now 2 or 3. I told you most of the challenging parts, but these r on call of the government and the prophet, leaving us, the woman to climb a treacherous hill alone representing 'Rocky Ridge'. Which was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, and it was no where near the real thing. our second morning we were given rations...two biscuits for the whole of the day, and on the third day the burying of the dead. All of the youth were given characters and those who died along the trail were asked to walk behind the were the things that made an impression on my testimony, and that expounded my gratitude for the pioneers. I am so grateful for our ancestors who had such astounding faith.

2 comments:

GatesGang said...

aww i know how that is i remember ryan and i doing that when i was pregnate with trista it was a tough few days. so glad that your testimony of pioneers grew even more. proud of you.

Casey said...

I'm so glad that you got to go on that trip. It sounds like a really neat experience.